Thursday 10 September 2020

The Choice

Anjali felt as though she was walking on air. It was such a heady feeling, this realization of being in love and of knowing that the other person loved you too (at least she was pretty sure he did). And today would be the day she would finally tell him.

She rushed through her gym class and took a quick look in the mirror to ensure she wasn't looking hot and sweaty. After all, it wasn't every day that she told someone she loved them!

"Ajay!" She called out as she walked briskly to the parking lot.

"Hi Anjali, how was gym today?" Ajay smiled at her, setting her heart fluttering.

"Oh, the usual. Nothing exciting. Listen, I wanted to talk to you about something. "

"Oh, really. Well, I need to speak to you about something too." Ajay looked serious.

Anjali did a mental jig-what was the bet Ajay was going to tell her he felt the same about her. They had been flirting and circling around each other since weeks but he was such a shy person that it hadn't progressed beyond stolen glances and smiles. But today it seemed was THE day!

Anjali laughed, "You go first!" This was a game they often played and so far Ajay always made Anjali speak first, so she was confident he would today too.

"Actually, I think today I will go first." Ajay looked at her, steeled himself and said "I am getting married. My parents have chosen the girl and I will meet her soon but it's all arranged. I just wanted to let you know myself. "

Anjali felt the smile freeze on her face. The trees stilled and the birds quietened. It seemed as though everything had slowed. She swallowed and managed to speak "Wow! That's great news, Ajay. And unexpected. I didn't know this was in the pipeline. "

"Well, my parents have been asking me to settle down and they seem to have found this girl they really like, so...Anyway, now your turn what were you going to say?"

I was going to tell you I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. The words echoed in Anjali's head and died before they reached her lips. If she spoke, knowing him he would take on his parents and refuse to get married and if that happened she would be to blame. If she kept silent, she would never know for sure if he actually loved her back and whether they could have a life together. It was her choice to make, one that would affect several lives.

"Oh, nothing really. I have forgotten also in front of your major news! Congratulations!" Anjali gave him a quick hug and silently said goodbye to her dreams featuring him. Some things, she figured, were just not meant to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment